During these winter months, we would like to remind local businesses and householders to make sure that they are ‘winter fit’ to withstand any bad winter weather. The risk of expensive, disruptive and distressing damage can easily be reduced by taking a few simple steps now, before the cold weather sets in, such as:
• Make sure that water pipes and water tanks in the loft are insulated with good quality lagging.
• Know where your stopcock that turns of the incoming water supply is, and make sure that it works.
• Repair any dripping taps. This will help prevent water from freezing.
When the cold weather arrives:
• Leave any loft door open to allow heated air to circulate.
• Leave heating on at low setting to help heat pipes, especially if you are away from the home or the business premises for a period of time.
• Make sure your electrics are safe. If there’s any chance that your electrics are wet, turn off the power at the mains and call a qualified electrician for help.
• Call us as soon as possible to get advice on what to do next in the event of damage to the property. Take photos of any damage to your home or business.
With wintery weather forecast for South Yorkshire, now is the time for homeowners and businesses to take a few simple steps to reduce the risk of facing the trauma of frozen or burst pipes this winter. Home insurance will pay for the often considerable damage caused by burst pipes, but it cannot compensate for the misery and inconvenience that they bring.« Back to all news